Exec. Committee Meetings
August 19, 2016
- Financial updates
- Details on library initiative
- Outreach during MechE Research Exhibition
Complete minutes 20160819
July 29, 2016
- Approved new MW User, Patrick, to help with recreating MW website
- Developed policy for getting PCards cards from exiting Exec members
- More details worked out for new library MW kits
Complete minutes 20160729
July 22, 2016
- User Coordinator split into two positions: User Coordinator (handles MakerMondays and Outreach) and Social Chair (organizes Fab. Friday social events)
- Subcommittees to be communicating via slack and sending updates
- Updates on Mobius and iPad integration into MakerWorks
Complete minutes 20160722
July 15, 2016
- Townhall went well, subcommittees formed for major tasks.
- Updates from Marty meeting about Admin, Front door card reader.
- Next steps for Instron being finalized.
Complete minutes 20160715
July 8, 2016
- MakerWorks doesn't have a clear policy for amendments to our policies or for capital purchases.
- Meeting will be held next week to clarify this.
- Townhall meeting will be held this week.
- Meeting with Marty will be held this week.
Complete minutes 20160708
July 1, 2016
- Shop clean up went well
- To avoid legal issues, we now must put MIT in front of MakerWorks
Complete minutes 20160701
June 24, 2016
- Had discussion with AutoDesk
- New Mentor Integration - Town Hall Meeting, Buddy System, Mentor Social Hour
Complete minutes 20160624
June 17, 2016
- New equipment spec'd (thermal camera) and coming in (high speed camera, new surface plate, optical inspection station, and force guages).
- Created timeline for summer class
- Google doc created for Year 1 Exec postmortem
Complete minutes 20160617
June 10, 2016
- Unfilled Exec Positions: Safety Manager, User Coordinator
- MakerWorks Exec is wants an administrator
- Shop clean out is happening this Friday
Complete minutes 20160610
May. 13, 2016
- Nominations for new exec positions underway
- Birthday party next week
- EHS inspection Monday
Complete minutes 20160513
May. 6, 2016
- Probable date of birthday party: May 24th
- Moving forward with FLIR, metrology, sensor, and high speed camera purchasing
- Laser ventilation - lead time about a month
- Waterjet - ugh
- Exec Elections SOON
Complete minutes 20160506
Apr. 22 2016
- Omax technician to be called re: waterjet
- Moving forward with Y2 capital purchases. Need to verify ITAR regulations re: thermal camera, also still talking to rep. Waiting for more quotes on mechanical testing
- Clarified MakerWorks/Protoworks relationship Re: training
- Began planning/brainstorming for one-year anniversary and summer course (earn DOLLAHS)
- Exec nominations will open next week, elections will take place after finals. Also bringing on new mentors at that time
Complete minutes 20160422
Apr. 15, 2016
- Capital equipment purchase reviews:
- Will definitely buy high speed camera. Will not by 3D scanner for now.
- Will send info regarding dimensional metrology tools to shopcommittee@ for review before purchasing
- Mechanical testing stand delayed pending quotes that have been requested
- 3D printing starts being charged soon
Complete minutes 20160415
Apr. 8, 2016
- Not totally clear how much money remains in our accounts, due to idiosyncrasies with the reporting system.
- As such, the current budget is likely very close to the amount we have left, leaving no buffer.
- We have decided to delay on purchasing the 3D scanner in order to give us a ~$10k reserve
- Electronics training is being developed in conjunction with NI
- Elections for new exec team will run end of April
Complete minutes 20160408
Apr. 1, 2016
Complete minutes 20160401
Mar. 18, 2016
Complete minutes 20160318
Mar. 11, 2016
- Nearing 1 year anniversary-- department will be evaluating us to see if this should continue
- Red flags: unsafe, unclean, unsustainable, we go on strike, overspend, etc.
- Distinction between personal art project and personal tech projects. The dept wants the latter. How do we encourage more tech?
- Need more utilization of electronics & measurement, esp. considering the NI grant
- More mentor fun!
Complete minutes 20160311
Mar. 4, 2016
- Discussed machine master transition policy. Current suggestion is to: (1) have the machine master notify exec (2) have the mentor coordinator and extended exec discuss potential candidtate in extended exec meeting (3) the mentor coordinator will put the machine master and potential master in contact. (4) current machine master is responsible for training new machine master
- Discussed Y2 purchasing and the cost of the Universal Testing Machine. The original budget did include one, but it was spec-ed at $5k. We should probably reevaluate at $40k. Will discuss with Marty and then with the shop team in the coming weeks.
Complete minutes 20160304
Feb. 26, 2016
- Set list of topics for meeting with Marty next week
- Discussed at length mentor training--- how to best disseminate info, what new mentors need to be prepared, how to distribute responsibilities to prevent mentor burnout
- 3D printer usage is 5X our predicted use. In many cases these are parts that fail/could have been machined otherwise. Do we need to start charging (at cost) to at least make people think more carefully about their jobs? Need to discuss with 3D printer team.
- Discussed Y2 capital equipment. List located at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ohF6m8jy2oR3NKX2ZCYVd6RW8 . Has the OK from Marty, machine masters should also review.
Complete minutes 20160226
Dec. 11, 2015
- Discussed exec handoff polices -- will likely appoint interim replacements for the near term and have elections for replacements later
- IAP: need people to respond to shift survey. Will hold a couple of MakerMondays
- Will clean up documents in order to make them public, share with other spaces, e.g. Danger!Awesome
- Happy Holidays!
Complete minutes 20151211
Dec. 3, 2015
- Discussed Marty's "Project Manus" at length
- More questions than answers
- Also discussed potential MW role when the Met is open (3 yrs out)
Complete minutes 20151203
Nov. 19, 2015
- 9 out of 11 new mentor applicant accepted
- IAP: please fill out poll from Charlie to report availability
- potentially modified hours based on user interests/mentor availability
Complete minutes 20151119
Nov. 12, 2015
- Discussed alum policy: primarily an insurance barrier
- Fallout (4) from extended-exec meeting last week: need a more detailed plan for the Y2 spending. Needs to look like Y1 plan. Hoping to have full proposal by Jan 1
- Suggestion of change to org structure: going to called machine teams just "teams", and will now include "Shop Improvement Team". Will put to vote among mentors and recruit mentors to team soon.
Complete minutes 20151112
Oct. 29, 2015
- Discussed whether trainings should be permitted during shop hours. Will put to vote
- Many small items: making some smaller arm badges, infrastructure woes, Mathworks IAP tutorials, bringing on new mentors
- Short meeting!
Complete minutes 20151029
Oct. 15 2015
- Interim laser cutter policy will be enacted. Mentors will be instructed on this during their refresher training with Charlie
- Waterjet should be good to go for now, but there's still a drain issue.
- Additional prep for Marty meeting
- Discussion about MIT Energy Hackathon request to use space (from MW member). Email to follow
- General discussion on how to handle classes/teams/clubs that may contribute positively in their knowledge/abilities but aren't Course 2
Complete minutes 20151015
Oct. 8, 2015
- Discussed what role new mentors would have since all current shifts are filled
- List of shop improvement tasks
- Prepared discussion points for meeting with Marty
Complete minutes 20151008
Oct. 1, 2015
Complete minutes 20151001
Sep. 24, 2015
- We're a bit short of our projected income since we did not have enough mentors to earn money via the short course. But we will make do.
- Even with the new mentors, we seem to be stretched a bit thin with regards to having mentors help out with misc. tasks. Maybe we need some kind of incentive system
- We are starting Fab Fridays! It's gonna be fab! Mentors should come
- We will soon request input for Year 2 capital equipment purchases
- Laser cutter status: deciding between two filter options ($12k vs $6k, but different pros/cons/maintenance costs)
- Waterjet status: the sensor should arrive by end of week. Then needs to be installed
Complete minutes 20150924
Sep. 11, 2015
Complete minutes 20150911
Sep. 4, 2015
Complete minutes 20150914 <-- oops, supposed to be 20150904
Aug. 28, 2015
Complete minutes 20150828
Aug. 14, 2015
- We need a chemical waste collection system for the few chemicals we have. Will implement with a pre-printed red tag
- Will upgrade to quieter vacuums before noise audit
- Need better scheduling options that include tracking of shifts traded and missed
- Need to talk to Marty about special exemptions (for non-ME access to MW). Need to pass exec-committee screening
Complete minutes 20150814
Aug. 7, 2015
- A freshman seminar from the ME department will grant ~30 students MW-member-status this fall, with some limitations. Trial basis only.
- Mentors should add the keywork "mw-training" to the subject line of emails providing training announcements, so people can filter.
- Any mentor can submit a request to order consumables or other needs at any time, through Lucy's form.
- The "Oh, POOP" button is to be rewired to cut off all power minus lights. (This in response to the flood from waterjet last week.) Therefore we do not use the Oh, Dagnabit button a to turn off machines in the event of a problem user. Instead, use the breakers, which are now clearly labeled.
Complete minutes 20150807
July 31, 2015
- During the semester, Makers' Mondays will be moved to 7:30 p.m. to accommodate athletes and other conflicts.
- Purchasing procedure has been developed, to be announced to mentors soon.
- Machine classification to be discussed with EHS, policy will be clarified soon
- Mentors, don't forget to offer trainings on behalf of your machine team! We will also have a larger discussion on mentor time expectations soon. Prepare to give input. OOOooOooooh!
- Working on a system to get mentors that have not taken the flashlight course ok-ed on mill and lathe, similarly will find a more specific policy for grad student from other undergrad schools
Complete minutes 20150731
July 24, 2015
- Getting closer to having a clear machine classification and off-hours access policy.
- In the coming weeks, we will have both an extended exec meeting (exec + machine masters) and an all mentors' meeting
- We will soon be more clearly laying out the expectations for mentors with regards to: hours per week expected beyond our shift, training expectations, and helping with machine team expectations
- Tech Cash system has the ability to auto-email receipts, will be implemented soon.
Complete minutes 20150724
July 17, 2015
- The exec team will meet weekly, with one meeting per month being an "all-comer's meeting." Everyone should come if you want to give input. Also working on online input for small ticket items.
- We are working on clarifying the policies for: (1) the requirements for mentors to work during off hours (2) users/mentors bringing in new chemicals, including paints and stains (3) how to manage users leaving work over night, either as a glue up or fixtured on the machine.
- All mentors will have a brief retraining, coordinated by Charlie, to get everyone on the same page regarding policies that have been added or changed this summer, including the above. Look for an email.
Complete minutes: 20150717
All Mentor Meetings
July 14th, 2016
- Y2 Equipment purchase updates
- Instron machine approved for purchase
- Subcommittees formed for remaining purchases
- Governance committee formed to review policy docs
- Lufkin Fund Subcommittee formed to finish deliverables from Lufkin Fund grant
- Future meeting on Mobius to keep an eye out for
Complete minutes 20160714
March 31st, 2016
- Marty news: we're doing well, good safety record, need more mentor participation, esp with regards to summer course
- Y2 Equipment discussion: definitely buy optical station, pressure caster/vacuum, FLIR thermal camera, sensors
- Additional items: high speed camera, Universal Testing Machine, 3d scanner -- will delay until we receive more info (both from machine reps and additional proposal submissions
- SUBMIT QUOTES HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ohF6m8jy2oR3NKX2ZCYVd6RW8
- 3D printers will start charging. Keep your eye out for instructions!
- Not covered: Results of mentor survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SEInExDtHNRXpg-pGQT0RqforKEgVCqiAD8fLOSpXd8/edit?usp=drive_web#responses
Complete minutes 20160331
Extended Exec Meetings
Aug. 20, 2015
- Machine classifications
- Mentor expectations
- Lufkin Year 1
- Maintenance and training schedules
- Year 2 Captial items suggestions
Complete minutes 20150820
Sep. 3, 2015
Meeting with Mentor Coordinate and Machine Masters regarding restructuring machine teams.
- Mill team has 3 people on exec, need to restructure
- Dan is largely committed to Met. warehouse space
- Raghav is obsessed with the mill
- Lathe getting one back, maybe taking on another
- Waterjet: Tyler machine master, need a 4th and ideally 5th member
- Laser-cutter: Minus one person
- Benchtop: Want minimum of 5 trainings per week, so ideally 5 people. (Still only 15 / wk)
- New machine teams assigned
- Some machine teams are missing masters
- Also have more desired spots than actual mentors
Nov. 6, 2015
- Meeting regarding Year 2 Capital equipment
- Certain yes-es were agreed upon
- Long discussion Re: Dimension 3D printer
- Some decisions pushed until more details about specs/floorplan are clear
Complete minutes 20151106
Feb. 16, 2016
- Assigned new mentors to machine team
- Some discussion regarding waterjet and small tools team needs
- Shop infrastructure team formed
Complete minutes 20160216